Tentercroft Street Character Area (view detailed map) is characterised by great diversity, both in the structure of the townscape and in the use of land and buildings within it. The incoherent character of the area is partly as a result of the its separation from the surrounding townscape by the construction of the railways in 1846 and 1848, and subsequent re-development during the 20th century, especially following the decommissioning of the Midland Line in 1985. Although adjacent to the High Street, the Character Area remains largely divorced from the wider townscape. It is defined by the rear of properties that face High Street to the west and the mostly impermeable boundaries to the north, south and east.
Evidence for the former railway is still observable in the townscape, particularly in the east where original railings and coping are still visible in situ, and where overgrown shrubs and trees mark the direction of the former main line. Modern [1967-2008] buildings to the south, including the Magistrates’ Court, mark the route of the former line as it approached High Street. The division of land and setting out of road infrastructure shortly after the arrival of the railways was also influenced by the existing medieval field structure, the orientations of which remain preserved in the current townscape.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Modern (1967 to Current day)
||Post-railway Expansion (1846 to 1868 AD)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: