The Witham East Character Area (view detailed map) is a transitional area on the eastern edge of Lincoln, between the built-up area of the city and its rural surroundings. It contains aspects that are characteristic of the industrial areas on the eastern side of the city and aspects that are more characteristic of rural areas to the east beyond the city boundary.
It is situated on the floodplain between the north and south escarpment, in the river valley. The area is predominantly flat but rises to the north and south on the lower slopes of the escarpments.
It is primarily a 19th-century drained agricultural landscape of enclosed arable fields, grazed meadow and pasture, course unmanaged wetland and land recently infilled with refuse, plus one arable field on higher ground to the north.
Land at the base of the Witham Valley has been subject to the flooding and movement of the River Witham since the formation of the valley some time before the Anglian glaciation (478,000-424,000 years B.P). Since the Prehistoric Era [10,000 BC – 90 AD] the river has functioned as an important transport route, connecting this area with The Wash estuary. Much of the lower land in the Character Area has historically been subject to flooding and waterlogging, and would most likely have been used as meadowland for grazing cattle and the collection of reeds during Lincoln’s early history. During the Roman Military [60-90 AD] and Roman Colonia [90-410 AD] Periods the area may have been part of the legionary ‘territorium’ a swathe of land surrounding major Roman fortresses in which agricultural production and services were dedicated to the service of the legion.
To find out more, search the menu on the left.
|Character Area Type:
||Early Industrial (1750 to 1845 AD)
||Modern (1967 to Current day)
|Average Building Type:
|Average Building Density: