Artificial stone manufacturers

« Back to the previous page

LARA ERA Industrial
LARA Record Number 11.41.6

Description

Joseph Fambrini was a plasterer in the 1850s, who became a manufacturer of artificial stone and concrete in the 1860s in workshops first in Waterside South and then Newton Street, in what is now Sippers (formerly the Crown and Cushion) Public House and the adjoining property. He built a workshop at 85 Canwick Road in 1878, later developing into the show yard and offices of the company of Fambrini and Daniels. The surviving office building on Canwick Road of 1889 (Herridge 1999, No. 5518) is a two-storied building of red brick, with many decorative features in brick and terracotta, including the city crest on the north elevation and an 1889 date-stone on the north elevation. The architect was W Mortimer. From c.1913 to at least the 1930s the site was occupied by the Lindum Stone Company The buildings themselves and the working spaces associated with them (some of which are mapped on the 1st edition OS.) are important survivals of this little-understood industry. We know little of the processes involved in Fambrini and Daniels' stone production, and something of these processes may be recoverable from the fabric of standing buildings, or from their buried plans or layout and from associated deposits (particularly if such deposits include production residues). Results from future work on this site could usefully be compared with the archaeological project mounted on the Coade Stone factory in Lambeth (Newbery 1978). It would be particularly interesting, for example, if we could show that they were using local clay (RAZ 11.42). Although not as famous as the Coade Stone works at Stamford (opened in 1858 - Birch 1999, 10-12), the chemical composition of Fambrini and Daniels' stone will be of considerable technical interest - especially if it can be compared with the output of rival companies. Examples of its use in their own building, or in others around the city should be noted and (where possible) investigated as part of any study of their factory.

LARA Boundaries

The RAZ is defined by the boundaries of the works depicted on historic mapping.