« Back to the previous page
|LARA Record Number
Several of the markers demarcating the city boundary are known, but although they are likely to have been established earlier, perhaps as early as the 10th century, when the boundaries of the field system may have come into being, the documentation for them comes from later periods. The locations at which the long-distance (and perhaps also the intermediate distance routes also) crossed the boundary of the city's jurisdiction are likely sites for such markers. Such boundary stones and locations were also frequently used as the sites of execution and, consequently, all of these sites must be regarded as sensitive. In the late medieval period, indeed, one of Lincoln's gallows was at the point at which the road to Branston cut the city's boundary at the top of Canwick Hill (Hill 1948, 231, 345). Unfortunately this location is now outside the city boundary.
In each case the RAZ boundary has been drawn as a circle of about 100m radius centred on the presumed centre of the cross.