« Back to the previous page
|LARA Record Number
This small footbridge crossing Sincil Dyke conveyed pedestrians from the site of Little Bargate (RAZ 9.51.5; 10.51.1) to South Common and dates from c.1964, replacing an earlier bridge of 1931 (Herridge 1999, No.5562, No.5301). They stand, however, on the site of earlier bridges, the remains of which will be preserved in the banks on either side of the Dyke. It is not clear what type of bridge the 1931 structure replaced, although one would hope that it was not a medieval predecessor. There was very probably an intermediate bridge of the Industrial Era of which little is known. We need to gather information from the abutments to establish what type of bridge it was and when it was built. A research agenda for such structures nationally has been issued ((OAU 1998).
The RAZ includes the whole bridge and a 10m wide extension on each side to accommodate the buried features not mapped on the 1st ed. OS.